Project Management


Kiwi Vision Consultants Ltd has a combined 120 years surveying, engineering and planning experience between the three directors and 7 staff members.

Kiwi Vision Consultants Ltd incorporating Dimension Surveyors, evolved from the need for Subdivisions to be Project Managed correctly due to the increased complexity of rules and compliance issues created by the Resource Management Act.

Project Managing the subdivision of  a property can generally be broken up into a 21 step process as follows:

1. Zoning and Area

  • Check council unitary plan
  • Consult council officers (if required)
  • Confirm if zone allows for development
  • Confirm if site area allows for development
  • Check Title for any limitations

2. Drainage and Services

  • Check the council drainage and services records
  • Storm water, Waste water, and water reticulation.

3. Aerial photograph

  • Also on council GIS
  • General position of existing dwelling and auxiliary buildings
  • Gives a general idea if an additional dwelling will meet the bulk and location requirements.

4. Contours

  • Site Slope
  • Contours give you an idea of the general slope of your site
  • Are there any Potential problems that will restrict a building site
  • A gradient of over 1 in 5 means a geotechnical report will be required for the subdivision.

5. Funding and budget

  • Financial expectations.
  • Development finance is available
  • Meet with a specialist in this area
  • You will need an estimate of the total costs
  • You get funding approval
  • Work out a budget

6. Topographical Survey and Scheme Plan

  • A surveyor carries out a topographical survey
  • The surveyor in conjunction with an architect will create a scheme plan of subdivision and/or development
  • Boundaries are determined so as to meet your requirements and the council rules

7. Submit Resource consent

  • A Planner prepares a comprehensive report and assessment of the effects, between 30 and 40 pages of information
  • This report, along with the scheme plan and architectural plans, are lodged with council
  • Council will then check and process the application

8. At Council

  • Council will check and process the consent application
  • Council planners & development engineers will be involved
  • Processing time under RMA is supposed to be 20 working days
    – however …..
  • They can request further information (s92) – sometimes only minor, but can involve design changes.

9. Evaluate conditions of Resource Consent

  • Resource Consent is approved, subject to conditions (10-20 conditions)
  • We will evaluate the conditions of the consent and inform you of any potential issues
  • Some of the conditions will require construction work to be carried out.

10. Obtain other consents from council

  • Engineering approvals for Public Drainage and Shared Driveway
  • Building Consents for Private drainage, retaining walls and demolition of existing buildings.

11. Power and Telephone contracts

  • Your subdivision must have power and telephone reticulation or availability
  • A letter from a provider may suffice.
  • Generally you will need to enter into a contract for supply.

12. Arranging/Tender for contractors

  • Tendering is the most cost effective way.
  • There are many contractors to be involved – Drainage, Earthworks, Concrete and Building
  • Contract documents are circulated to the various contractors to enable pricing
  • A contractor is appointed

13. Construction set out

  • A Surveyor will set out any construction works required
  • This includes – Drainage, Driveways and of course any Proposed Dwellings.

14. Supervision and construction

  • An Engineer must supervise and document the construction as it happens, and Council inspects as required
  • Upon completion of works it is certified by the Engineer, and final inspection and sign off by council is completed.

15. As built survey

  • As-built surveys are required to be submitted with the engineering completion certificate.
  • Your qualified Surveyor and Engineer will complete the as-built drawings and submit to council.
  • Drainlayers can do as-built drawings of the private drainage

16. Construction completion documentation

  • Completion documentation is organised and lodged with council
  • The costs of materials from your contractors is collected and tabulated on council forms
  • Sign off documentation is obtained from council

17. Subdivision boundary pegging

  • You are now ready for the subdivision boundaries and any easements to be pegged.
  • Your surveyor will place all of the pegs ensuring that they are visible and easily located.

18. Cadastral Survey Dataset

  • Your surveyor can now complete the Cadastral Survey Dataset, Title Plan and Survey Plan, to be lodged with LINZ.
  • At this stage your solicitor is also notified that they will soon be involved.

19. Section 223 and 224(c) applications

  • Your surveyor will now apply for the Section 223 and 224(c) certificates as required under the RMA for subdivisions.
  • This involves obtaining a variety of sign off documents to prove to council that all resource consent conditions have been satisfied.

20. Legal Documentation

  • Your solicitor will prepare the legal documents to be submitted to LINZ for new titles to be issued. They will liaise with your surveyor to make sure that the new titles are issued as quickly as possible.

21. Titles issue

  • Your new titles should issue within ten days of the plan being approved as to survey.
  • Success !!